About Me

My Photo
Hugh Martin is originally from northeast Ohio and he spent six years in the Army National Guard and deployed to Iraq in 2004. His chapbook, So, How Was The War? (Kent State UP, 2010) was published by the Wick Poetry Center. His full-length collection, The Stick Soldiers (BOA Editions, 2013), was the winner of the A. Poulin Jr. First Book Prize. He is the recipient of a Wallace Stegner Fellowship; the Walter Dakin Fellowship from the Sewanee Writers' Conference; and he was the inaugural winner of the Jeff Sharlet Memorial Award from The Iowa Review. His poems have appeared in journals such as The Kenyon Review, The American Poetry Review, Crazyhorse, and The New Republic. Martin graduated from Muskingum University and has an MFA from Arizona State. Currently he is the Emerging Writer Lecturer at Gettysburg College. www.hugh-martin.com

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Interview for Devil's Lake

Thanks to my friend, Jacques Rancourt, for taking the time to interview me about the new book.  If you're a soldier or former-soldier, do you have thoughts on this unwritten "rule" I speak of?  I know upon returning home, what you did over there and how much you left the wire mattered a lot; it was not something you embellished or exaggerated at all.  This translated to my writing and overall, I shy away from writing about any experience in Iraq that I wasn't directly involved in.  In the future, maybe I will write about Fallujah or Abu Ghraib...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you

My web-site :: fastest way to lose weight